Statement on the developing COVID-19 pandemic
Friday 27 March 2020
The Adjudicators of the Traffic Penalty Tribunal have taken the decision to put on hold all appeal activity, including decisions being made on cases, for a period of 8 weeks, effective Monday 30th March.
This decision has been taken due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and its potential impact on appellants who have received Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), as well as enforcement authorities working to adapted office hours / practices.
- The 8-week hold on appeal activity impacts outstanding decisions or hearing requests for cases already in progress, as well as the progression of newly registered cases.
- Those wishing to start new appeals are still encouraged to do so through the Tribunal’s online appeals system, which remains operational. New cases will be registered and progressed following the
8-week hold period coming to an end.
- For those with appeals ongoing or wishing to make new appeals, the usual customer support channels of phone and email (see details below this message), as well as Live Chat (either from the Tribunal website or within a the online appeals system) remain available.
The decision to introduce the 8-week hold follows feedback from appellants, including those who may not have time to appeal due to changes to work and family responsibilities, are not well enough to appeal, or may be under financial hardship.
- Further information for those wishing to make an appeal, or with an appeal currently in progress, can be found below.
Common Questions and Answers for Appellants
The Tribunal has also become aware of authorities not currently able to respond to appeals, or that do not presently have the resource to do so, due to impacted working practices as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Further information for authorities responding to appeals during the 8-week hold period can be found below.
Common Questions and Answers for Authorities
Aside from the 8-week hold on appeal activity, the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, continues to operate as normal, on a remote-working basis, following Government guidance.
The hold on appeal activity will be reviewed after the 8-week period, with a decision taken on whether to lift or extend it.
Traffic Penalty Tribunal Contact Details
Phone: 0800 160 1999*
Office Hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
* Calls are currently being diverted to staff working remotely. Calls received from the Tribunal may show as a mobile or withheld number for the foreseeable future. Should any delay or difficulty be experienced in contacting a member of the team, the Tribunal does apologise.
Please note that all calls are recorded for quality and training purposes.